Admissions FAQs

What do I need to do to enroll at Johnston Community College?

You must complete an application and request that official transcripts from high school and/or college(s) be sent directly to the Admissions Office (Johnston Community College, PO Box 2350, Smithfield, NC 27577).  When this information is received, the Admissions Office will contact you regarding possible placement testing or to schedule an interview with a counselor.

Is there an application fee?


Do I need to get an official copy of my high school and/or college transcript(s)?

You must submit your official high school transcript unless you have already graduated with an associate's degree or higher. In this instance, your official transcript from that college or university will be sufficient.

If you have attended another college or university, in many cases, the college transcript is not required for admission. However, without exception, you must submit official transcripts from previously attended institutions if you:

     -Wish to receive transfer credits toward your degree
     -Plan to apply to a medical program
     -Will apply for Veterans Benefits
     -Will play NJCAA athletics

Notes: *High School students that meet the Multiple Measures GPA criteria (at the end of the Fall term of their senior year) and are enrolled in their fourth Math (in the Spring term) will be held until final grades are released and transcripts are sent from their High School during the spring term.

**If the original copy of your transcript is written in a non-English language, a certified English translation is required.

How do I get a copy of my high school transcript?

You must request a copy in writing from the last high school you attended and include your signature and social security number.  Make your request using the Request for Transcript form.

I've taken Continuing Education classes. Do I still need to fill out an application?


Can I take classes if I don't have a high school diploma?

Possibly, you will need to contact a counselor.

Can I transfer credits from another college?

Possibly, if the course(s) you completed are the same as the course(s) at JCC and you have a grade of "C" or better.

I've taken classes at JCC before, but it's been awhile.  What do I need to do?

Your first step is to complete a new application and then contact the Admissions Office to determine if your records are still on file.

I don't want to take classes for credit.  What do I need to do?

You must still complete the admissions process, but you may register to audit the classes you wish to take or you may take Continuing Education classes.

What degrees are available at JCC and what are the requirements for the programs?

Program listings provide descriptions and requirements. You may also refer to the current JCC Catalog or view our programs online.

How do I get a copy of the JCC Catalog?

Current and recent Catalogs are available in PDF format online.

How much will it cost for me to go to JCC?

Tuition is set by the N.C. General Assembly. Tuition information is provided for current rates for residents and non-residents and any additional fees.

Will I have to take any tests?

You are required to take an online computerized placement test call the North Carolina Diagnostic Assessment & Placement Test (NC DAP) to determine English and math placement unless you qualify for exemption from placement testing via the multiple measures waiver program.

(Requirements described below):

Multiple Measures

Effective November 5, 2013, students who enroll at Johnston Community College Fall 2014 may be exempt from English, Reading and Math placement testing if the following criteria are met:

  • The applicant is admitted and registered for classes within five (5) years from the high school graduation date.
  • The applicant has an unweighted high school GPA of 2.6 or greater.
  • The applicant has successfully completed four (4) high school math courses including three (3) Core Mathematics Courses and at least one higher level math course* as recognized by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction.
  • Placement for students who apply before graduation from high school will be based on their high school GPA at the end of the fall term of their senior year.

SAT/ACT Scores
Students who enroll at Johnston Community College may be exempt from English, Reading and/or Math placement testing if the following SAT or ACT scores are met:

Pre March 2016

SAT Scores
Writing: 500 OR Critical Reading: 500
Math: 500

ACT Scores
English: 18 OR Reading: 22
Math: 22

Post March 2016

SAT Scores
Writing: 500 OR Evidence Based Reading: 480
Math: 530

ACT Scores
English: 18 OR Reading: 22
Math: 22

Other exemptions from Placement Testing

Students who enroll at Johnston Community College may be exempt from English, Reading and/or Math placement testing with:

  • Successful completion (a grade of C or higher) of a college-level math and /or English course from a regionally accredited institution.
  • Successful completion of a developmental level course in English and/or Math from another North Carolina Community College
  • Appropriate Advanced Placement (AP) scores
  • Appropriate College Level Exam Program (CLEP) scores
  • Appropriate NC Diagnostic Assessment and Placement (NC DAP) test scores from another community college.

Students, who qualify for a placement test waiver in math or English but not both, will need to complete the Placement Test for the skill area not exempted. Students must present all documentation when requesting a waiver.

Core Mathematics Courses:

Algebra I, Geometry and Algebra II OR

Common Core Math I, II and III OR

Integrated Math I, II and III

PLUS, a fourth mathematics course from the list below:

Approved Math Courses (4th Math):

  • Advanced Functions and Modeling*
  • Discrete Mathematics*
  • Pre-Calculus*
  • Integrated Mathematics IV
  • *AP Statistics*
  • AP Calculus (AB)*
  • AP Calculus (BC)*
  • Analytical Geometry
  • Integrated Mathematics
  • Mindset
  • Probability & Statistics
  • Trigonometry

* Will also meet UNC mathematics requirements.

Why do I need an interview with a counselor?

A counselor will assist you with any questions you have, review placement test scores and/or transcripts, and place you into English and math courses.

Does JCC have a new student orientation?

Yes, all new students need to complete New Student Orientation (NSO).  Learn more about NSO!

What kinds of services are provided for students with disabilities?

A variety of services are available for students with qualified disabilities.  Detailed information is available.