Help Us Grow!
The Arboretum at Johnston Community College is supported through the generous donation of time, plants, and financial resources of our community donors and volunteers. We GREATLY appreciate all of our donors and recognize their contributions to the Arboretum. Thank you for helping the JCC Arboretum grow!
The mission of the Arboretum at Johnston Community College is to promote prudent and responsible use of cultivated plants and to promote the conservation of native species through the acquisition, evaluation and aesthetic display of selected plant materials in an educational environment for students, visitors, and local citizens.
The Arboretum has a wide selection of display plants to provide a pleasing place to visit year-round. It provides homeowners, students, and professionals with ideas for traditional and non-traditional uses of plants in their landscapes.
There are opportunities for volunteers, garden clubs, students, school groups, and professional groups to use the facilities to increase their knowledge and skills. There are gardens for individuals of all ages and abilities to use and enjoy.
The site has a number of different environments that demonstrate landscaping and naturalizing of similar environments throughout the county.
While the Arboretum continues to expand its various gardens, many display areas are already completed: azalea, courtyard, kitchen, perennial gardens, and more are all ready for viewing and education. Future themes include The Southern Garden, Heritage Gardens, a global garden, an ethnobotanica garden, children's garden, ornamental grass garden and many more that emphasize color, sounds, and fragrances.
The Arboretum needs your support! Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (919) 209-2052 to see how you can help.
Financial gifts may be provided through donations, sponsorships and grants.
Living Plant Memorials
Living plants are often used to commemorate a special event, convey a significant meaning, and to honor various loved ones. In order to accommodate the many requests for living plant donations to the Arboretum, the Advisory Board has approved the "Living Plant Memorial" fund.
Living plant materials (specific trees, shrubs, flowers) cannot be accepted because the Arboretum must follow a strict master plan for development. Instead, monetary donations can be made to the Living Plant Memorial fund for use as follows:
- Donors may give any amount of money to this fund
- Monies will be placed in a restricted account for current plantings (phase, garden, etc.) to cover purchase, maintenance, and replacement (as possible) of plant materials
- Specific trees, shrubs or plants cannot be designated; instead, donated funds will be used for the current landscaping phase or garden specimens being planted at the time of the donation
- Utmost care will be taken to maintain and/or replace the donated plant holdings as JCC is able
- The gift will be acknowledged in a separate listing on the Arboretum webpage and in a special log book that will designate:
- Donor, Date, Contribution, and Planting Phase or Garden for which funds will be used
- Gifts of $200.00 and higher will be recognized in a press release with a photo.
- Donor will be recognized at all Arboretum media events
- Donor will be recognized at Arboretum programs
- JCC will issue a press release and photo of donor
- A marker will be installed at the Arboretum if applicable
- The Arboretum and JCC Foundation will give the donor an invoice for tax purposes
- Donor will be recognized on the Arboretum webpage
- The Donor will be recognized in the Annual Report of the JCC Foundation, which goes to all community colleges and is placed in strategic locations within the community
- If applicable, a temporary marker denoting the contribution will be placed on site during the construction phase of the project.
Clearly designate your contribution for the Arboretum.
Gifts are tax-deductible as permitted by law.