Basic Rider Course
This course for beginners teaches the basic skills needed to operate a motorcycle in traffic. Students must be able to balance and ride a bicycle to take this course. The first half of the course familiarizes students with the location and operation of the controls. Students then practice riding on small motorcycles to demonstrate that they have the strength, balance, and coordination to perform straight-line riding, shifting, turning, and stopping exercises. The second half of the course introduces students to street riding strategies needed when sharing the road with other vehicles. Particular emphasis is placed on those skills that have been found lacking in motorcyclists who have had accidents. Those skills include emergency braking, swerving, and proper cornering techniques.
- No prior motorcycle and or knowledge are needed for the BRC course.
- A motorcycle endorsement or permit is not required for the BRC course.
- All exercises are conducted on the protected range.
- Motorcycles, helmets, and training manuals are provided for the BRC course.
- Students must wear an approved helmet, over-the-ankle footwear, long pants, a long sleeved shirt or jacket, full fingered gloves, and protective eyewear at all times while training.
The Basic Rider Course uses a building block principle of learning and each
exercise/classroom segment builds on the previous one. Therefore, it is
imperative that students attend all portions of the class in the proper
sequence. Students will not be permitted to skip or make up a missed
session. Attendance is mandatory at all sessions. Students who are
late for a class will not be permitted to join the class in progress and/or make up
the missed information at a later time.
Before submitting a registration form, please call (919) 209-2213 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m., Monday-Thursday to determine class availability.
Upcoming Course Dates
Friday - 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm
Saturday - 8:00 am to 6:00 pm
Sunday - 8:00 am to 6:00 pm
Classes will be added to the listing as they become available.
|Course Number||Course Dates|
|25||September 05, 2014 - September 07, 2014 (Class Full)|
|27||September 19, 2014 - September 21, 2014|
|28||September 26, 2014 - September 28, 2014|
|29||October 03, 2014 - October 05, 2014|
|30||October 10, 2014 - October 12, 2014|
|31||October 17, 2014 - October 19, 2014|
|32||October 24, 2014 - October 26, 2014|
|33||October 31, 2014 - November 02, 2014|
Ready to Register?
- Fill out the registration form and return it with the non-refundable registration
fee in the form of a money order or cashier's check.
Make certified check or money order payable to JCC. No personal checks.
- If you are a Johnston County high school student, fill out the Concurrent Enrollment Form.
- The registration fee for the BRC course is $135 per student.
Mail the completed form along with the registration fee to:
Johnston Community College
Attn. Motorcycle Safety Program
P O Box 2350
Smithfield, NC 27577
For more information, please call (919) 209-2213