Johnston Community College is a national test center for the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), which offers online computerized testing for course credit. CLEP exams allow you to receive credit and exemption for a course if a minimum score is obtained. JCC students as well as the general public may take CLEP exams in the Testing Center room 1109 of the Wilson Building. Johnston Community College offers ALL available CLEP tests by the College Board during each month’s test date. Advance registration is required.
Johnston Community College administers College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) once a month on Wednesdays at 2:00 p.m.
CLEP Testing Dates:
- January 22
- February 5
- March 19
- April 23
- May 14
- June 4
- July 16
- August 6
- September 17
- October 15
- November 5
- December 17
For questions and to find out more information about these exams, you can contact the testing coordinator at JCC by calling (919) 209-2228.
The following table shows CLEP credit guidelines for students who desire to receive credit for a course at Johnston Community College.
|Examination||Credit Granting Score||Credits Granted (Semester Hrs)*||Equated JCC Course(s)|
|American Government||50||3||POL 120|
|American Literature||50||3||ENG 233|
|College Algebra||50||3||MAT 161|
|College Composition Modular**||50||6||ENG 111 & (ENG 112 or 113)|
|English Literature||50||3||ENG 243|
|Financial Accounting||50||4||ACC 120|
|French Language-Level 1||50||6||Humanities Elective|
|German Language-Level 1||50||6||Humanities Elective|
|History of the United States I: Early Colonization to 1877||50||3||HIS 131|
|History of the United States II: 1865 to the Present||50||3||HIS 132|
|Human Growth and Development||50||3||PSY 241|
|Information Systems & Computer Applications||50||3||CIS 110|
|Introductory Business Law||50||3||BUS 115|
|Introductory Psychology||50||3||PSY 150|
|Introductory Sociology||50||3||SOC 210|
|Principles of Macroeconomics||50||3||ECO 252|
|Principles of Management||50||3||BUS 137|
|Principles of Marketing||50||3||MKT 120|
|Principles of Microeconomics||50||3||ECO 251|
|Spanish Language-Level 1||50||6||SPA 111 & SPA 112|
|Spanish Language-Level 2||63||12||SPA 111, SPA 112, SPA 211, SPA 212|
|Western Civilization I: Ancient Near East to 1648||50||3||Social Science Elective|
|Western Civilization II: 1648 to Present||50||3||Social Science Elective|
*The American Council on Education (ACE) recommends a credit-granting score of 50 for each CLEP exam. This is a scaled score, equivalent to earning a C in the relevant course.
**JCC also requires the written essay portion for which there is an additional charge.
To secure a reservation for an exam date, please complete the following steps:
- Create your free College Board personal account at https://clep.collegeboard.org/register/exam
- Print your CLEP Exam Registration Ticket upon completion of your payment. An example is in the Information for Test Takers Booklet.
- Complete Johnston Community College’s CLEP Registration Form. Be sure to include your Ticket ID and your Voucher ID on your registration form. Do not send this form until you have paid for your exam.
- Send your CLEP Registration Form and your administrative fee of $15 (payable to Johnston Community College) no later than one week prior to the test date to the following:
Johnston Community College
PO Box 2350
Smithfield, NC 27577
For students requesting examination for CLEP College Composition Modular, there is an additional charge of $10 to cover the written essay portion. After the student takes the computerized assessment, the student may take the paper based essay portion. The minimum credit granting score must be obtained before the essay portion is attempted. Please allow at least four weeks for a written essay exam to be ordered and obtained from College Board.
CLEP test results are received immediately after the computerized exam is complete. Students receive a printout of their score results and the score is sent instantaneously to CLEP administrators at the College Board. If requested at the time of the exam, an official transcript of the course grade is mailed within one to three weeks to the recipient college from CLEP.
CLEP regulations state that if a student does not successfully pass an exam, he or she must wait six months to retake the same exam. Additional information on CLEP testing, including individual exam descriptions and subject guides, is available at www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/clep/about.html.
CLEP for Military Personnel
CLEP exams and optional essays are free to all eligible military personnel with proper military ID; however, service members will still be required to pay JCC's administrative fee of $15.00.
Military personnel will have the option of taking government-funded CLEP exams on computer, which means instant score reports, access to all exams, and a greater access for those National Guard units and Reservists who do not live near a base.
CLEP exams are funded by the U.S. government for the following:
- Military personnel (Active Duty and Reserve): Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, U.S. Coast Guard, Army Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, Navy Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve, Army and Air National Guard.
- Eligible civilian employees and spouses of participating Reserve Component and Coast Guard personnel.
- Department of Defense Acquisition Personnel (only eligible for the following computer-based exams: Principles of Macroeconomics, Principles of Microeconomics, and Principles of Marketing).