EMT Intermediate Program
EMS Training and EducationEMT Basic Program
EMT Intermediate Program
EMS Paramedic Training and Education
EMS Certification Courses
EMS Continuing Education calendar
Tactical Medical Operator
EMT Intermediate/Advanced EMT: Shift-Friendly Day CourseOrientation: December 10, 2013 at 9:00 a.m.
Location: JCC Public Safety Services Building Auditorium (J1630)
National Standard Curriculum and North Carolina Office of EMS program guidelines.
- Classes will be held on JCC main campus in the Public Safety Service Building (PSSB) starting Tuesday January 7th or Wednesday January 8, 2014 at 8:30 a.m.
- 307 total hours. 211 class room hours & 96 field internship hours.
- One class per week: Tuesday or Wednesday, 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Students must attend their registration day (Tuesday or Wednesday) for the first 10% of class hours.
- Mandatory Saturday and Sundays per course schedule. Schedule provided at orientation.
- Course completed in one semester. Course ends May 2014.
- PHTLS certification included
- Click here for a printable pdf
- High School Diploma or GED
- Credentialed as NC EMT
- Current Healthcare Provider BLS card. You may register to take class at (919) 209-2168 if you are not certified (must complete before second week of class)
- Successful completion of an entrance exam assessing reading comprehension on the post-secondary level, English language skills, and compliance with the mathematical skills on the high school grade level. Entrance exam will be conducted 1st and 2nd week of class.
Measures to meet the entrance exam requirement include:
- College Graduate: Within the last 5 years, graduated from a 2-year or 4-year accredited college. OR
- Reading & Language Requirement:
Within the last 5 years, Reading 090 and ENG 090; have tested out of or completed these courses with at least C average (or) completed ENG 111 with at least C average.
Within the last 5 years, MAT 070; have tested out of or completed the course with at least C average (or) completed MAT 140 or 161 with at least C average.
- (Non-JCC students must bring sealed transcript to orientation).
Registration/Orientation:Date Tuesday, December 10, 2013
Time: 09:00 a.m.
Location:JCC, Public Safety Service Complex
245 College Rd.
Smithfield, NC 27577
- Please be present on the date and time listed above
- Complete the JCC Registration Form
- Pick up EMT-1 Program course information and materials
- Payment $214 in the form of a money order, credit card or personal check. ($180 Registration fee, $19 Insurance fee, $15 for PHTLS card fee)
Rescue and EMS may qualify for tuition waiver ($180 fee).
To receive tuition waiver:
- Fire & EMS personnel must be listed on an official Johnston County agency roster. Provide a copy of the current roster at registration. Roster must include position and the current year.
- Out-Of-County Fire and EMS personnel must include at registration a letter on official department letterhead that includes documentation of active membership, position and that this course is necessary for your job. One letter can list multiple members from an agency
- Improper documentation at registration will result in tuition payment requirement before student will be allowed to register for class. This may affect guaranteeing your slot in class.
- ***Private owned agencies and non-emergency transport services do not qualify for tuition waiver***
Once you have registered at orientation and submitted your payment, you have secured a seat in class.
See the following instructions:
- Purchase the required course materials:
Textbook will be AAOS Advanced Emergency Care and Transportation of the Sick and Injured, Second Edition. More information available at orientation.
- Purchase the required uniform: Information provided at orientation.
- Go online to www.certifiedbackground.com and purchase the required criminal background check and drug screen (approximately $70) using the information provided at orientation. Print 2 copies of your receipt of payment from this process and present one copy to the course lead instructor; this must be done by the second week of class.
- TABE test: students that do not meet the minimum requirements must enter into an on-line tutoring program and meet the minimum scores prior to end of the paramedic program. PLATO (on-line tutoring program) orientation will be set up through JCC's Academic Learning Center.
First Day of Class: January 7th or January 8th, 2014
Submit the following:
- Completed Health Form signed by your primary healthcare provider
- Student Profile form
- Signed Code of Ethics; Syllabus; and 80% Rule
- Copy of AHA BLS/CPR card
- Copy of High school diploma/GED or college diploma
- Copy of current NC EMT Basic Credential
- Criminal background receipt
Present documentation evidence of the following vaccines/immunizations:
- Tdap vaccine: Tetanus, Diphtheria and Pertussis
- Tetanus (is included in Tdap vaccine)
- TST Skin test: 2 step method required (receive 1st injection, wait 30 days and get second injection)
- Hepatitis Series (or sign declination form)
- Varicella (either a positive titer result or evidence of 2 vaccines)
- MMR (positive titer result or evidence of 2 vaccines)
- Influenza Vaccine
|For more information, contact:|
|Jeremy W. Beal|
EMT Paramedic Program Coordinator
AHA Coordinator/ EMS Instructor