Online/Hybrid Course Development Request Process
Congratulations on your decision to develop an online or hybrid course! The steps below for requesting approval will guide you through the process for requesting approval from the JCC Curriculum Committee - the first step in our process:
STEP 1: Curriculum Committee Approval
- Ensure that the course has been offered in a traditional face-to-face format at least one
- Have your Department AVP approve the request to offer the course in an online or hybrid format.
- Plan your development timeline.
* For spring semester course offerings,
- Curriculum Committee approval may be received anytime prior to May 31st;
- course must be complete and presented to JOLT for approval by September 30th.
- Curriculum Committee approval may be received anytime prior to December 31st;
- course must be complete and presented to the DL Committee for approval by April 30th.
- Appoint at least one Subject Matter Expert who has agreed to participate in the course development
- Fill out and submit the Online/Hybrid Course Development Request Form
- Present your Course Development Plan to the Curriculum Committee
Upon receipt of your Course Development Request form, you will be contacted by the Committee Chair and notified as to the next committee meeting date in order to present your course development plan. Once approved by the committee, course development may begin.
STEP 2: Course Development
- Contact the JOLT Instructional Designer at x2255 to set up an appointment to begin
the process of course development. After your meeting, your Blackboard template shell will be created.
- Collaborate with your appointed SME(s) and the Instructional Designer as you develop the course. Refer to the JOLT Online or Hybrid Course Development Guide & Rubric as you build your course to ensure that you are meeting all JCC online course best
practices for quality assurance. Near the end of the development process, allow time
(at least 2 weeks) for the JOLT Instructional Designer and your SME to review before
final presentation for approval.
- Seek final approval: Contact JOLT for the next presentation meeting date. Please adhere to deadlines:
September 30th for spring semester, April 30th for summer and fall semesters. Check
out our handy Course Presentation Checklist for items that you'll want to feature during your presentation.
- Once approved, you're ready to go! After JOLT approval, your course will be scheduled in WebAdvisor. You can then course copy from your template in Blackboard to your new course shell for the upcoming semester. (New course shells are available approximately 2 months prior to the start of the semester).
If you have any questions about the process, please call JOLT at 919-464-2260 or email: email@example.com.