"First Year Experience" ConferenceJohnston Community Colleges strives to provide new students multiple opportunities to gain information for success in college. As such, the College is offering for the first time a “First Year Experience” Conference. Attendance at the conference is not required; however, students are strongly encouraged to participate because the presentations will provide students NEW information than the previously attended orientation days.
Each student’s interests and needs are different. As such, students are allowed to tailor the conference workshops that best meet their needs! Students will select four workshops to attend. Topics will include, but are not limited, to the following:
- Note-taking Skills
- Testing Strategies
- Balancing Family, Work and School
- Success in Math
- Paying for College
- Time Management for Academic Success
- Campus Involvement
- Research Skills for Writing Essays/Papers
- Transferring to a College/University
- ...and much, much more!
Program:Check-in: 8:00 a.m.- 8:15 a.m., Smithfield Campus, Tart Building Lobby
Workshops: 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- Students must register for the New Student Conference. Due to limited seating, walk-ins will not be accepted
- The registration deadline is Wednesday, July 16
- Students who register for the conference will be contacted after July 17 with workshop titles/descriptions. Students will, at that time, register for specific workshops based on their interest and needs. Final workshop selections must be made by Monday, August 4