Audition Judging Criteria
Vocal Ability: 1 – 20 (20 is the highest)
- Does the singer stay on pitch?
- Is the voice pleasing to the ear (not piercing)?
- Is the singer in their song? Sometimes a "bad" voice still sounds good if used well.
- Does the voice have a likeable character? And, does the singer recognize it and use it to their song’s best advantage?
- Does the singer stay with the music?
- Do I like their voice?
Stage Presence: 1 - 10
- Is the performer comfortable on stage?
- Do they connect with the audience?
- Do they pace or wander aimlessly? Wandering aimlessly is (not good). Have a sense of purpose.
- On an upbeat high energy song - do they smile? If it's sad, are they still smiling?
- Do I like the way they look on stage? Face it, some of us are not pretty people, and yet some command presence on stage that makes me like to look at them - sincerity, a sense of purpose. Nothing to do with movement alone, or even eye contact. It has something to do with how I feel when I see them perform. It's easy to see when it happens.
Appropriateness of Music, choosing the right song: 1 - 10
- Is the song selection appropriate to their voice?
- Is it too high or too low for them?
- Does the song selection fit their voice?
- Does it suit them somehow?
- Does it fit the show?
Appearance: 1 - 10
- Did the performer prepare for the audition or just show up and wing it?
- Is the artist attractive on stage?
- The appearance and dress should suit the performance, not just look like
you rolled out of bed. Some look great in a pair of black jeans and a
t-shirt, others should wear a tux. Some shouldn't wear a cowboy shirt; others
look great in it. Performers should look like they thought about it.
Entertainment Value: 1 - 10
- In my opinion, was the performer fun to watch and listen to?
- Can the performer captivate an audience?
- Did the performer enjoy their 2 minutes on stage or were they ready for it to end?