Johnston Community College

  Search WebAdvisor for Classes  Blackboard  Jaguar Alerts  Appointment Plus  Ed2Go Online Courses  Student Google e-Mail  Outlook Faculty/Staff e-Mail   Find Us On Facebook!   Schedules and Registration - WebAdvisor JCC's QEP - Quality Enhancement Plan
Scenes from JCC
 Browse by Program:
Site Content
corner of main content section
Skip Navigation LinksFrequently Asked Questions :: Small Business Center :: Home

Small Business Center Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get a grant to start a business?
The truth is that federal and state governments do not provide grants for starting and expanding small businesses. Federal and state grants are only available to support non-profit organizations, lending institutions, and state and local government programs that provide technical and financial assistance to small businesses. If your business is one of these organizations, provides grant opportunities available from federal agencies.
How do I get a business license?
North Carolina does not have a single business license that covers every business activity. Call the Business ServiCenter at 800-228-8443 or 919-715-2864 to determine your state license requirements.
How do I get a tax id number?
There are several types of tax numbers. If your business is planning to have sales, a state Sales & Use Tax number (Form NC-BR) is required. If your business has employees, you are required to obtain a state Withholding Tax Number (Form NC-BR) along with a federal Employer Identification Number (SS-4 form). The Business ServiCenter can provide application forms for these numbers.
How do I register my business name?
The type of business structure determines where a business name should be registered. You must file a Certificate of Assumed Name for Sole Proprietorship, Partnership, Limited Partnership with the Register of Deeds in the county or counties where you plan to operate. If you have a corporation or limited liability company, you must register your business name with the N.C. Secretary of State, Corporations Division.
Where can I get a loan for my business?
Start with who you know - friends and family. Contact your local bank where they know about you and your business. The Small Business Center has a publication called Capital Opportunities for Small Businesses to assist you in identifying sources of capital. You can obtain SBA loan information from the Small Business Administration by calling 800-827-5722. In addition, the Self-Help Credit Union offers loan programs for qualified businesses and can be reached at 800-476-7428. The NC Rural Economic Development Center has a micro-enterprise program for start-ups.


For more information, contact:

Pat Killette
Small Business Center Director
(919) 209-2015
Johnston Community College | 245 College Road | PO Box 2350 Smithfield, NC 27577
(919) 934-3051 - - Copyright © 2014, All Rights Reserved.