The goal of the Academic Skills Center is to provide high-quality academic support to currently enrolled Johnston Community College students. The Center provides group and individual tutoring, by appointment, at no cost to the student. Tutoring is provided by peer and professional tutors and is available in most subject areas. Tutoring is provided in the Academic Skills Center during regularly scheduled hours.
Students can receive tutoring in multiple courses and may schedule up to two appointments of one-hour each per week for course(s) in which they seek assistance.
How to Request a Tutor
- Student should contact his or her instructor(s) first for help, and if assistance
is still needed, a Tutorial Referral Form must be completed by the student and signed
by the instructor.
Note for Online Courses: Students enrolled in online courses should send an email to their instructors stating that they are needing academic assistance and are seeking a tutor through JCC's Academic Skills Center. The instructor must reply to the student via email confirming they are aware the student is requesting a tutor. Students should then print the email communication between them and the instructor and attach it to a completed referral form. The email will serve as the instructor signature.
- Students should return a completed referral form to the Academic Skills Center.
- Students will be contacted via their JCC email to set up a meeting for a brief assessment of needs and to create a weekly tutoring appointment schedule.
Guidelines for Students Receiving Tutorial Services
- Students must be punctual for their scheduled tutoring appointment. Students who will
be late or need to cancel their appointment must call the Academic Skills Center at
(919) 209-2117 or (919) 209-2208. Students who are late are not guaranteed to have
their appointment extended. It is at the tutor's discretion whether he or she will
stay beyond the scheduled hours.
NOTE: Students who are consistently late for tutoring appointments or who miss more than two appointments without notifying staff may forfeit their appointment times and must meet with Dr. Angela Kearney, Director of Academic Enrichment Services, to discuss reinstatement.
- Students are expected to have all homework and other materials completed prior to the tutorial session.
- Students should bring the following items to each tutoring appointment: Syllabus, textbook, calculator, notebook, writing utensils, any directions from the instructor concerning an assignment, etc.).
- Students should recognize the purpose of tutoring and the proper role of the tutor. Tutors will provide reinforcement of classroom instruction through demonstration, explanation, clarification, modeling, etc. The tutor will NOT: proofread writing assignments, complete homework, write papers, give answers, develop a topic/idea, or perform under an unreasonable time limit.
Location: First Floor, Learning Resource Center
Hours: Monday through Thursday, 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. and Friday, 8:00 a.m.- 2:00 p.m.