New Student Orientation
Welcome to Johnston Community College! We understand that this transition may be both exciting and challenging as you look forward to your first semester of college. As a new student, you may have many questions. Attending new student orientation is the first step in answering these questions.
It is the College's expectation that new students attend orientation. As such, we have planned a half-day orientation program that will introduce you to JCC academic programs, campus, resources and services. We are confident that we can help you get a good start to a successful experience at JCC, and we want to assist you lay the foundation for your success in the future.
- All first-time students enrolled in certificate, diploma, degree and/or transfer programs are expected to attend Spring 2017 orientation. Please note that some academic programs require additional information sessions. Those program-specific sessions are in addition to, not in lieu of, this campus-wide orientation. If your academic program requires an information session, you should attend both orientation and the information session as the information provided is not the same.
- We are offering ONE date to attend orientation. Students must register for orientation by the deadline date. Due to limited seating, walk-ins will not be accepted.
|Orientation Date||Registration Deadline|
|Tuesday, January 3, 2017||Monday, January 2, 2017 at 12 noon|
- Check-in: 7:30 a.m.-8:00 a.m. Smithfield Campus, Tart Building Lobby
- Sessions: 8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. – Light refreshments will be provided.
Note that orientation lasts a half-day.
Please plan accordingly; all sessions are equally important.
- Students must register for orientation. Due to limited seating, walk-ins will not be accepted. Registration is completed online. If you need assistance with registration, please call the Academic Skills Center at 919.209.2117 Monday through Thursday, 8:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m. and Friday, 8:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.
Instructions for Online Registration:
- Visit the JCC homepage and click "Appointment Plus" in the top right corner or click HERE.
- View events in the left column and select "New Student Orientation" associated with your preferred date.
- Click "New User."
- Complete the required registration fields, including ID number.
- Click "Finalize Appointment."
Instructions for Online Registration:
- If you have questions regarding registration or you need help in registering, please call the Academic Skills Center at 919.209.2117.
- If you need accommodations for new student orientation due to a disability, please contact Dr. Angela Kearney at 919.209.2531 by Monday, January 2, 2017 at 12 noon.
- Orientation is intended to provide vital programming for new students to ensure their academic success; therefore, parents/guests, including children, are not allowed to accompany students to program sessions. Parents/guests who are providing transportation are asked to return to campus at 1:00 p.m. to pick up their students.
What to bring to new student orientation:
In order to participate fully in new student orientation, students should bring the following:
- Student ID number
Student identification numbers were provided to you in your first letter of acceptance to attend JCC. Your ID number is 7-digits beginning with the number 2. If you do not have your student identification number, you must visit Student Services, located in the Wilson Building, Monday-Thursday, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., prior to your orientation date. To obtain your JCC student identification number, you must present a picture identification.
- Umbrella and comfortable walking shoes as sessions will be held in multiple buildings on campus.
Again, congratulations on choosing Johnston Community College. We look forward to meeting and helping you learn about your College. Our goal is to provide you with an excellent educational experience with the ultimate goal of completing your degree and preparing for a successful career.
Dr. Angela M. Kearney
Director of Academic Enrichment Services