How to Request a Tutor
The Tutoring Center offers individual and/or group tutoring in a variety of subjects. Please check this page frequently for updated information on availability and scheduling.
- Student must contact their instructor(s) first for help and if assistance is still needed,
a Tutor Referral Form must be completed by the student and signed by the instructor.
- Turn in completed referral form to the Tutoring Center (TC).
- A TC Coordinator will contact you via JCC email to set up a meeting for a brief assessment.
- Students can receive tutoring in multiple subject areas; however, students can only schedule appointments for up to one hour per session, no more than twice a week per subject.
- If you are running late or need to cancel, please email and/or call both your tutor and the TC Coordinator a.s.a.p.
- If a student is a no call/no show for two scheduled tutoring appointments, they will forfeit their appointment times and must meet with the TC coordinator to discuss reinstatement.
(Students are considered a No Call/No Show after 15 minutes from the start of their scheduled appointment time, if they have NOT notified the Tutoring Center or their Tutor of their absence in advance.)
Online Class Referrals
- Email instructor stating that you need assistance and are seeking a tutor through JCC's Tutoring Center.
- Instructor must confirm via email that they are aware you are seeking a tutor.
- 3. Print the email communication between you and the instructor and attach it to your completed Tutor Referral Form- this will count as the instructor signature.
Assistance for Writing
- Complete the same steps listed above to request a writing tutor.
- Students will receive assistance from a Writing Tutor or Specialist in the following areas:
- Focus (Thesis, main idea, purpose, narrowing topic selection)
- Development (supporting details, examples, citation, references)
- Organization (outlining, paragraph structure, arrangement of intro., body, & conclusion)
- Mechanics (Learn to identify errors in: grammar, spelling, punctuation, sentence structure)
- Compliance( adhering to guidelines regarding topic, scope, time, & length)
- For help with essays and short papers students must seek a tutor one week prior to due date and a couple weeks in advance for research papers.
- Tutors will NOT proofread or edit student papers, and students CANNOT drop off papers for review.