Common FAQs for COVID-19 Response/Situations

  • What should I do if I have been exposed to COVID-19 and believe I am developing symptoms associated with the virus?

    If you think you are developing symptoms associated with COVID-19 and have reason to believe you have been exposed to the virus, the CDC recommends calling your doctor or Public Health department.


    If you are sick, notify your supervisor and stay home.  An employee told by a doctor or public health official that they should be under isolation due to illness should not report to work.  Contact your supervisor or Human Resources for leave options.


    If you are sick, notify your instructor and stay home.  A student told by a doctor or public health official that they should be under isolation due to illness should not report to class.  Contact your instructor for information about your assignments.

  • I’m a JCC employee and/or student.  I feel sick, I think I may have recently been exposed to COVID-19, or I have been diagnosed with COVID-19.  What should I do?  Should I self-isolate?

    What to do if you feel sick.

    If you have a fever, cough or other symptoms, you might have COVID-19.  Most people have mild illness and are able to recover at home.  If you think you may have been exposed to COVID-19, contact your healthcare provider.

    Steps to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 if you are sick.

    If you are sick with COVID-19 or think you might have COVID-19, follow the steps below to care for yourself and to help protect other people in your home and community.

    Stay home except to get medical care.

    - Stay home.  Most people with COVID-19 have mild illness and can recover at home without medical care.  Do not leave your home, except to get medical care.  Do not visit public areas.

    - Take care of yourself.  Get rest and stay hydrated.  Take over-the-counter medicines, such as acetaminophen, to help you feel better.

    - Stay in touch with your doctor.  Call before you get medical care.  Be sure to get care if you have trouble breathing, or have any other emergency warning signs, or if you think it is an emergency.

    - Avoid public transportation, ride-sharing, or taxis.

    Separate yourself from other people.

    As much as possible, stay in a specific room and away from other people and pets in your home.  If possible, you should use a separate bathroom.  If you need to be around other people or animals in or outside of the home, wear a mask.

    - Additional guidance is available for those living in close quarters and shared housing.

    Monitor your symptoms.

    Symptoms of COVID-19 include fever or chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea, and/or any combination thereof.

    Follow care instructions from your healthcare provider and local health department.  Your local health authorities may give instructions on checking your symptoms and reporting information. 

    Call ahead before visiting your doctor.

    - Call ahead.  Many medical visits for routine care are being postponed or done by phone or telemedicine.

    - If you have a medical appointment that cannot be postponed, call your doctor’s office, and tell them you have or may have COVID-19.  This will help the office protect themselves and other patients.

    If you are sick wear a mask over your nose and mouth.

    - You should wear a mask, over your nose and mouth if you must be around other people or animals, including pets (even at home).

    - You don’t need to wear the mask if you are alone.  If you can’t put on a mask (because of trouble breathing, for example), cover your coughs and sneezes in some other way.  Try to stay at least 6 feet away from other people.  This will help protect the people around you.

    - Masks should not be placed on young children under age 2 years, anyone who has trouble breathing, or anyone who is not able to remove the mask without help.

    **IMPORTANT**: When to seek emergency medical attention

    Look for emergency warning signs* for COVID-19.  If someone is showing any of these signs, seek emergency medical care immediately:

    - Trouble breathing
    - Persistent pain or pressure in the chest
    - New confusion
    - Inability to wake or stay awake
    - Bluish lips or face

    *This list does not include all possible symptoms.  Please call your medical provider for any other symptoms that are severe or concerning to you.

    Call 911 or call ahead to your local emergency facility: Notify the operator that you are seeking care for someone who has or may have COVID-19.


    Isolation is used to separate people infected with SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, from people who are not infected.

    People who are in isolation should stay home until it’s safe for them to be around others.  In the home, anyone sick or infected should separate themselves from others by staying in a specific “sick room” or area and using a separate bathroom (if available).

    Who needs to isolate?

    People who have COVID-19

    - People who have symptoms of COVID-19 and are able to recover at home
    - People who have no symptoms (are asymptomatic) but have tested positive for infection with SARS-CoV-2

    Steps to take

    Stay home except to get medical care.

    - Monitor your symptoms.  If you have an emergency warning sign (including trouble breathing), seek emergency medical care immediately.
    - Stay in a separate room from other household members, if possible.
    - Use a separate bathroom, if possible.
    - Avoid contact with other members of the household and pets.
    - Don’t share personal household items, like cups, towels, and utensils.
    - Wear a mask when around other people, if you are able to.

    Follow this link to learn more about what to do if you are sick.

  • One of my students and/or employees looks sick.  What should I do?

    Contact the JCC COVID-19 ERT at and/or  The safety and well-being of our students and employees is the most important issue and prompt identification and isolation of potentially infectious individuals is a critical step in protecting others on campus.  Employers should inform and encourage employees to self-monitor for signs and symptoms of COVID-19 if they suspect possible exposure.  Where appropriate, employers should immediately isolate people who have signs or symptoms of COVID-19 and send them home immediately.  Contact JCC’s Environmental Safety Officer (919-209-2560) for isolation information.

    Managers and instructors should become familiar with symptoms and isolation procedures, which are outlined on the coronavirus website maintained by the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services and based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

    Instructors should emphasize to students the importance of staying home when sick.  Additionally, supervisors should emphasize to employees the importance of staying home when sick, and employees that are required to stay home by JCC should discuss leave options with the Human Resources Office and/or supervisor.  Departments are encouraged to be flexible in advancing leave to employees who have exhausted other leave balances.

  • What actions will JCC take if there is a suspected case or employee exhibiting symptoms and the employee isn’t pursuing evaluation/testing?

    If an employee is exhibiting signs of illness based on CDC guidance, supervisors may send employees home, or ask them to remain at home, in order to limit the spread of communicable illnesses.  Supervisors are not to give a medical diagnosis but rather encourage employees to call their medical care provider and seek medical guidance.  IMPORTANT: When you are placing employees on leave and/or allowing them to work from home, you must maintain confidentiality with regard to any employee’s health issues.

    If the employee appears healthy, but has been determined by a public health official or JCC leadership to pose significant health risk to other employees or students (based on CDC guidance for businesses), the first option should be to work from home.  Work with your supervisor and HR.  Follow the CDC guidelines to determine the risk an asymptomatic employee may have for the workplace.  If an employee is diagnosed with COVID-19, they should be granted appropriate leave.  If a diagnosis is not confirmed, the employee should be placed on appropriate leave until they are no longer symptomatic as provided in the CDC Discontinuation of Home Isolation guidance.

  • An employee and/or student may have had indirect contact with an infected person, what should I do?

    As COVID-19 becomes more widespread in the U.S., JCC is preparing for the possibility that students, employees and instructors will come into direct or indirect contact with someone infected.  For employees and/or students who may have had tertiary contact (i.e., contact with someone who came into contact with an infected person), we are following CDC guidelines which consider this a low-risk scenario, not requiring any restrictions or self-isolation.  We understand this can feel very scary and encourage managers and supervisors to help employees become informed and take precautions.

  • What will happen when a student or employee has a confirmed case of COVID-19?

    There are numerous circumstances that would dictate a responsible course of action.  Some factors that could come into consideration include, but would not be limited to, matters like which department, building or facility a staff member works in; if the faculty member is an instructor or administrator, etc.  There are too many variables to clearly explain a single course of action.  Essentially, our response would depend on the circumstance.  The end result would be to take a course of action in coordination with the Johnston County Public Health Department consistent with CDC guidelines for appropriate patient care, and potential contact outreach and care.

    We commit to being transparent with our community about what is happening, to the extent allowable by federal patient privacy laws.

  • What resources and supports are available to employees and their families during this time? Is there an Employee Assistance Program (EAP)?


    As we continue to figure out the new normal in both our professional and personal lives, each individual will experience the impact of COVID-19 differently.  For some the biggest challenge is getting a printer to work at home.  For others, it is worrying about a loved one who is unwell and far away. 

    Whatever your experience, our Employee Assistance Program is available to you for resources as well as help to reduce uncertainties or fears you may encounter during this difficult time.

    Counseling: To schedule an appointment to speak with a clinician, call 1-800-633-3353.  Telephonic, virtual and face-to-face sessions are being offered.  Please note that most clinicians are following the social distancing guidance related to COVID-19 and temporarily limiting offerings to telephonic and virtual.  Clients participating in virtual and telephonic counseling will be required to submit paperwork prior to the first session.  All sessions are hosted on HIPAA compliant platforms.

    Clients will need:

    - Computer, tablet or smartphone with microphone and camera
    - Internet connection of at least 30kbs (most connections are much faster)
    - Confidential space

    Online Resources: There are resources about COVID-19 available now through the Work-Life Portal at  New resources are being added on a regular basis.  Most recent additions address the following topics:

    - Coping with working from home 
    - Coping with having the kids off from school
    - How to talk to children about COVID-19 

    The Work-Life Portal can be accessed by going to:

    2. Click on MyPortal Link on the right side
    3. Select the Work Life box
    4. log in: johnstoncc / password: guest


    1. Talk to your student about MyGroup, our student assistance program.  MyGroup is a free, confidential tool that provides assessment, counseling, legal, and financial advice services.  The student can call 800-633-3353 or go to their website > My Portal Login > Work-Life, username: jccsap / password: guest.  MyGroup is providing all services virtually at this time.

    2. We provide short term (virtual for now) counseling sessions with one of our three counselors:
    Megan Moeller, LPC,, 919-464-2270, Team Lead of the Crisis, Assessment, Response, and Evaluation (CARE) Team.

    3. Let the student talk.  Sometimes they just need someone to listen.  Be open-minded and nonjudgmental.  You’ll be able to get a good idea if a referral is needed or not.