Lottery Hunt at Howell Woods
Whitetail Deer & Feral Pig
- Complete a 3" x 5" index card with the following information: name address daytime phone number e-mail address (if applicable) requested hunt date/number. Hunt dates can be viewed on the Hunt Calendar tab.
- Any entry card received that lacks any of the required information, or without entry fee will not be accepted. If an entry is received that is not correct, the staff of Howell Woods is not required to contact the perspective hunter and notify them of the non-acceptance of their entry. For any entry not accepted, the check or money order will be destroyed along with the entry. Each destroyed entry will be logged in on a specified document with date received, reasons for non-acceptance, actions taken, outcome of actions, date entry and fee destroyed.
- Mail card and entry fee (non-refundable) to Howell Woods ELC, 6601 Devils Racetrack Road, Four Oaks, NC 27524.
- Only checks and money orders are accepted for entry fee and should be made out to Howell Woods ELC. Total fees received should match the required amount for the total number of entries received per hunter.
- Feral Pig & Deer hunts - Only one prospective hunter's name per card; no groups or parties.
- Each entry card is good for one hunt drawing only! Individual hunters can enter more than once for each designated hunt date and may enter for multiple hunts, but each entry will cost the required entry fee.
- Entries will be accepted by mail or may be delivered in person up to 3:00 p.m. of the date of the drawing.
- Two for each fall and winter (Oct-Dec) - feral pig and deer hunts will be randomly drawn between 3:00 - 5:00 p.m. on the date specified for each hunt. The lottery drawing date for all whitetail deer and feral pig hunts will be on Fridays, ten working days prior to each hunt. Any unsold Stewardship hunt slots available five working days prior to each hunt will be drawn as lottery slots. Each drawing will be open to the public. In the event that the drawing can not be held due to an unscheduled closing of Johnston Community College, the official drawing will be held the next day the school is open for employees at 11:00 a.m. New entries for the rescheduled date will only be accepted if delivered in person before the 11:00 a.m. drawing time.
- If a prospective hunter enters more than one entry card for a set date, the first card drawn with that selected hunters name will be the card used for that hunter. Any subsequent cards drawn with that selected hunters name will be discarded and another card will be drawn in its place.
- With each hunter drawn during the random drawing a stand/blind or area location will also be drawn to which that hunter is assigned to hunt.
- Each selected hunter will be notified by phone within 2 - 4 days of the official drawing. Howell Woods ELC will meet its notifying obligations when the selected hunter has been spoken to in person, a message is left with an adult at the number provided, a message is left on voice mail or recorder at the number provided. Payment is due within 72 hours of notification.
Fees Subject to change on a yearly basis
All monies collected from all the hunting related activities that are conducted on the property are used to fund the continued operations that benefit the ongoing wildlife/habitat management, environmental education, and low impact outdoor recreation activities. Simply put, wildlife conservation pays for wildlife conservation!
Whitetail Deer and Feral Pig, October-December
- Entry Fee - $10
- Hunt Duration - two full days in the fall (Friday & Saturday).
- Hunt Fee - $100/hunter
- Additional Day (Thursday) - $100
- Small Buck Harvest Penalty - $250
- Button Buck Harvest Penalty- $25