Howell Woods offers a variety of primitive campsites, each equipped with a fire ring with a flip down grill top, picnic table, trash receptacle, and lantern hanger. Three of the six sites are suited for individual tents while the remainder capable of accommodating large groups. Most campsites are within walking distance to an outhouse restroom. Camping is $5/tent/night and reservations can be made by calling the Learning Center, (919) 938-0115.
Individual Tent Sites
- Fox Squirrel Ridge. Located along the Diversity Trail System, this site overlooks a longleaf pine restoration site. Campers will enjoy a covered picnic shelter and quick access to a fishing pier on Hannah Creek.
- Hannah Creek (sites 1 &2). These are the most primate sites and are located on the banks of Hannah Creek. Campers can enjoy their privacy while fishing from camp. These two sites do not have access to restrooms within walking distance.
Group Camp Sites
- Lone Pine Pond. Located closest to the Learning Center, this group site can accommodate 15-20 tents (4-6 person in size). Campers can enjoy fishing in Lone Pine Pond and quick access to hiking trails. A covered picnic shelter is also included.
- Fort Island Pond. Our largest group site capable of accommodating most groups. Campers can spread out over this waterfront site and enjoy fishing from three piers. A covered picnic shelter is included. Reservations can also be made for Kayaks and Canoes to be onsite for your enjoyment. Also onsite is a primitive fishing camp cabin which can be rented for $20/night.
- Neuse River Platform. This site is perfect for paddlers coming down the Neuse River. A raised and covered shelter is perfect for storing gear while taking a break from the river.
Potable water is not available at any campsite but can be accessed at the Learning Center. Generators and other AC/DC appliances that are heard outside the immediate camping area are not allowed. Campers are asked not to bring firewood but can collect fallen debris around the campsite. Howell Woods will provide firewood for an additional charge of $5/night.
Campers may check-in at 1:00 p.m. Checkout is 11:00 a.m.