In light of Governor Cooper’s announcement on Friday, May 14, 2021, Johnston Community College is amending our face covering and social distancing restrictions.
Governor Cooper’s announcement included the following changes for the entire state of North Carolina with some limited expectations:
- No statewide (face covering) mask mandate
- No mandatory mass gathering limits
- No mandatory capacity limits
- No mandatory social distancing requirements
Effective immediately, Johnston Community College will not impose any additional restrictions beyond those in the governor’s Executive Order 215. Face coverings and social distancing protocols, while still strongly encouraged for unvaccinated people, will not be required except where noted below.
It’s important to note the following:
- Child Development Center staff members, students working in the CDC, and visitors to the CDC must continue to wear face coverings indoors until otherwise notified. College employees working in the Child Development Center for any reason must also wear a face covering while inside the facility.
- Staff members/employees and children attending summer camps must continue to wear face coverings indoors until otherwise notified.
- If you teach in person at a public school, you should adhere to the requirements of that instructional site.
- If you teach at or attend classes in a healthcare setting, you should adhere to the requirements of that healthcare facility.
- Certain programs that involve close interaction with other students or members of the public may continue to require that face coverings be worn during those interactions (i.e., Cosmetology, Therapeutic Massage, etc.)
- Nothing prevents employees or students from continuing to wear face coverings if they choose to do so.
- Individuals should not be asked to disclose their vaccination status or why they are wearing a face covering. This is private information and should be respected at all times.
- During this transition, please be patient as our employees and students make their own decisions about how to continue to protect themselves on campus, and respectful of those decisions. For instance, if you meet with someone in a small space, such as a private office, be mindful your students or fellow employees may request you meet in an alternate location that allows more distance or wear a mask during your interaction.
- Please continue to report any COVID-19 diagnosis, exposures, and COVID-like symptoms to JCC’s COVID-19 Emergency Response Team by emailing COVIDEmergencyResponseTeam@johnstoncc.edu.
- Vaccination appointments are widely available, and JCC encourages faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated if eligible and medically cleared to do so. Vaccinations help keep our community healthy. You can schedule your COVID-19 vaccine appointment at https://takemyshot.nc.gov/.
- For the latest COVID-19 vaccination information, visit https://www.johnstonnc.com/covid19/.