Financial Aid Policies

Rights and Responsibilities

  • Students must apply each year for all financial aid programs.
  • Students who receive financial aid must make satisfactory academic progress in order to ensure continued eligibility on financial aid programs.
  • Dropping classes or withdrawing early from the college during the semester may affect a student's financial aid award. Check with the Financial Aid Office prior to any change in status as a full-time student as part of the financial aid award may have to be repaid as a result of any change.
  • Work-study students will be paid monthly by direct deposit for hours worked and reported on the work-study time sheet. All time sheets must be signed by the student and the work-study supervisor and submitted to the Financial Aid Office each month.
  • Work-study jobs are located throughout the campus. Students are expected to report to work on time. They should notify their work-study supervisor if they must be late or absent. Students will be paid only for hours actually worked. Students who find their work-study assignment incompatible should discuss this matter with the Financial Aid.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

Each student enrolled in an eligible program and receiving financial aid is expected to make satisfactory academic progress toward completion requirements for the program. At the end of each semester, the student's cumulative grade point average is computed. This measure of progress toward graduation is indicated on the student's semester grade report and is reviewed by the college.

To be in satisfactory academic standing, a student must maintain at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average related to the number of credit hours attempted. When the student's GPA is computed, all courses attempted at JCC are included in the total hours attempted except developmental/remedial (R, P), WD, W, I, NA, CR, AU and Repeated course work (lower grade).**Courses with COVID-19 WE/IE grades are excluded from GPA as well.**

Although developmental/remedial courses are excluded from the attempted credit count, the student who has only taken developmental/remedial courses must maintain a 2.0 GPA to meet SAP for financial aid.  P (Passed for developmental courses only) is equivalent to a 4.0 grade point and R (re-enroll for developmental courses only) is equivalent to a 0.0 grade point.

In addition, to be in satisfactory academic standing, a student must pass at least 67% of the credit hours attempted each semester. At the end of each semester the student's cumulative 67% is computed. All courses attempted are included in the 67% calculation except developmental/remedial (R, P) and courses with COVID-19 WE/IE grades.

This includes A, B, C, D, F, I, WF, WD, W, CR, AU, NA, Repeated courses, High School courses, and Transfer credits. Grades of F, I (Incomplete), WF, WD, W, or/and NA are considered as attempted and not passed.

Financial Aid students who have been on academic warning for one semester, and are not in satisfactory academic standing will be terminated from receiving financial aid.

The time frame for a student to complete their program of study cannot exceed 150% of the published length of the program.  Based on federal law, a student is ineligible (via the maximum timeframe element) when it becomes mathematically impossible for the student to complete their program of study within 150% of the length of the undergraduate program.

This 150% limit will be measured by all attempted credit hours. Transfer Credits are included in the 150% calculation; however, developmental/remedial courses are not included and courses with COVID-19 WE/IE grades are not included. There is no academic warning period for the 150% rule.

EXAMPLE: If a program has 60 credit hours, the student may only attempt 90 credit hours before becoming ineligible to receive Title IV funds.  The 150% remaining hours in your program of study must be equal to or more than the remaining hours needed to graduate in your program of study.

Return of Title IV Funds (R2T4) Policy

If a student completely withdraws from all classes prior to the 60% point of the semester, he or she is required by federal regulations to repay the funds for the time he or she has not attended class. This overpayment may be a combination of tuition, fees or books charged to his or her account, and/or direct payment made to the student.
Failure to make payment will result in the student being reported to the Department of Education and/or a collection agency. This action will also interrupt future financial aid awards.

The student will not be able to register for classes, receive transcripts, or grade reports.

North Carolina State Grant Return of Funds Policy

The North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority (NCSEAA) along with College Foundation Incorporated (CFI) has established a return policy for state-funded grants.  State grants at Johnston Community College include the NC Scholarship, NC Longleaf Commitment Grant, NC Transition Scholarship, and the North Carolina National Guard Tuition Assistance Program.

State grant recipients who withdraw from class, stop attending, drop out, or are dismissed/suspended from class prior to or at the 35 percent point of the semester will owe a repayment.  State grant return calculations are based on the student's last date of recorded attendance and/or class participation.  

If it is determined that a portion of the financial aid received by the student is unearned, the College is required to return the unearned funds back to the State within 45 days.  Notification will be sent to the student by mail. The amount of the return (repayment) will be due by the student in full when notification is received. In addition, no student shall be permitted to graduate, receive transcripts, or register for a new term until the debt has been repaid in full.

Verification Policy

The College verifies all applicants selected by the Department of Education. Verification is completed by the Financial Aid Office at the time the student's award is made. Financial aid awards are not disbursed until verification is complete.


  • Johnston Community College's Forgiveness Policy does not apply for financial aid purposes.
  • Financial aid will be limited to 30 credit hours of developmental/remedial courses.
  • No financial aid will be awarded for AU (Audit) grades, CR (Credit by Proficiency Examination) and NA (Never Attends).
  • Financial Aid will only pay to repeat a course once, if you have already earned a passing grade ("D" or better) for the course.
  • Any courses that do not count toward a student's current program of study will not be used to determine enrollment status for Financial Aid and/or VA unless they are eligible remedial courses.
  • Once financial aid is terminated, students become ineligible for aid until their progress is again satisfactory. It is student's responsibility to notify the Financial Aid Office when this has been accomplished.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Process

A student who has become ineligible for financial aid may appeal the termination of their financial aid.
Appeals generally given consideration involve students who have experienced:

(a) extended illness or hospitalization of the student,
(b) an accident which incapacitates the student for an extended period of time, and
(c) death or extended illness of an immediate family member which results in greater family responsibilities for the student.
(d) a change in programs, and as a result, causes them to exceed the maximum time frame.

The appeal must address why the student failed to make satisfactory academic progress and what has changed in the student's situation that will allow the student to demonstrate satisfactory academic progress in the future. Appeals must be in writing and submitted on the JCC Appeal Form along with proper documentation to the Financial Aid Office.

For a JCC Satisfactory Progress Appeal Form. 

Unusual Enrollment History Policy and Appeal Process

New regulations from the Department of Education require institutions to check unusual enrollment history in an effort to prevent fraud and abuse in the Federal Pell Grant Program.

Federal regulations allow the Financial Aid Office to determine whether a student should continue receiving Title IV aid that has failed to earn credit at previously attended institutions, if they can document that there were mitigating circumstances beyond their control.  Documentation must support the reasons given by the student for the student's failure to earn academic credit and that the student did not enroll only to receive credit balance funds.

If the JCC Financial Aid Office decides that you are ineligible for federal financial aid on the basis of insufficient documentation, you may appeal the decision by completing the Unusual Enrollment History Appeal Form.

For a JCC Unusual Enrollment History Appeal Form,

For SAP Appeal due dates, please visit Financial Aid News and Updates.