Veterans Benefits

Military student

Eligible veterans and eligible dependents who attend JCC can receive VA Educational Benefit payments according to the VA program. The VA Coordinator/Veteran Certifying Official certifies the enrollment of eligible veterans and dependents enrolled in approved programs of study.

Educational Opportunities and Benefits for Veterans

JCC offers a wide variety of associate degree, diploma, and certificate programs. Obtain a degree, diploma, or certificate, transfer to a four year college or university, and/or update your job skills.

JCC faculty and staff are here to assist you in your educational goals. Eligible veteran students may participate in distance learning (online courses, hybrid, fast-track courses). However, some of these modes of learning may affect your benefits depending on your educational benefit program and your semester course enrollment. The VA Coordinator will review your class schedule each semester.

JCC offers valuable benefits to veterans, with a dedicated Veterans Certifying Official on campus to provide one-on-one assistance and counseling concerning all VA Education Benefit Programs and Financial Aid. This includes coordinating all VA paperwork, a review of pertinent information on state and federal tuition assistance, waivers, scholarships and funding for college.

For veterans benefits information, contact the Veterans Affairs Coordinator in the Financial Aid Office:

Renee Underwood at (919) 209-2063 or Wilson, C1028. Contact Financial Aid Main Office at (919) 209-2036.

What Kind of Student Are You?

New Veteran Student - Start here if you have not used VA benefits before at any institution.

Continuing Veteran Student - Start here if you are continuing your benefits from another semester.

Transfer Veteran Student - Start here if you already have VA benefits but are changing major or degree programs or transferring from another school.

New and Transfer Veteran Students must complete the JCC VA Packet. Contact Renee Underwood for information.

Department of Veterans Affairs

Complete information concerning eligibility requirements for veterans, eligible spouses or dependents, how to apply, programs covered and payment rate information on the Education Benefit Programs listed below is available on the Department of Veterans Affairs website.

VA students can apply for educational benefits online or can come by the office and complete a paper application for VA Education Benefits (VA Form 22-1990) for Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30 ), Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33), Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606) to be mailed.

Useful VA Links


Johnston Community College does not discriminate in admissions, employment, or in its administration of educational programs and activities on the basis of age, race, color, sex, national origin, disability, religion, creed, military or veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal or state law.