Information for Underage Students

Individuals who are 16 or 17 years of age may be granted admission into a Basic Skills program if certain criteria can be met.

1.     Is student legally emancipated?

NO - Student and parent must petition their high school for the enrollment of a minor.

YES - Student may enroll in classes once they have provided documentation verifying emancipation.

2.     Does student have a government issued photo ID?

NO - Please contact the NC Department of Motor Vehicles for information on obtaining a photo ID.

YES - Students will be required to present ID at the time of placement testing.

3.     Has student been officially withdrawn from school for more than six months?

NO - Student isrequired to obtain a Release/Referral from the school last attended.

YES - Student is not required to obtain a Release/Referral from the school last attended.


Underage students will need to submit the following:

  1. Parent/Guardian Petition for the Admission of a Minor (must be notarized)
  2. Release/Referral From Public/Private/Charter/Home School

You can find a printable version of both of these documents here.

These documents must be completed and received at the Basic Skills Office before an underage student is allowed to complete assessment testing.