Placement Testing and Orientation
Placement Testing and Orientation is required for entry into all Basic Skills Programs.
Students will be assessed on their skill levels in reading and math. These assessment scores will be used in placing students in a class which is appropriate for their skill level.
- There is no cost for placement testing.
- Placement testing is conducted at JCC's main campus in Smithfield. The Testing Center is located in room A110 in the Elsee Building.
- Our Testing Center operates in an open lab setting. No appointment is needed and it is on a first come, first served basis. The schedule for testing is listed in the table below.
- Students are required to bring a government-issued photo ID with their name and date of birth.
- Placement testing will take about an hour and a half to complete. Please arrive early enough to allow enough time before the Testing Center's scheduled closing time.
- Children and guests are not permitted into the testing session with the students.
Testing Center Schedule:
|Daytime||-||8:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.||8:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.|
|Evening||5:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.||5:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.||-|
New Student Orientation
After completing placement testing, students will be given information about the dates and times of upcoming orientation sessions. All students wishing to enter a Basic Skills class must attend an orientation session before entering a class.
Orientation lasts about an hour and a half and typically takes place on Thursday. Students may choose to attend either a 2:00 p.m. session or a 6:00 p.m. session. During orientation, students will learn about Basic Skills Programs and how to progress from one program to another. Students will receive test scores and class schedules in order to begin attending classes.
For more information please contact:
Assessment, Recruitment, and Retention Coordinator
Office: Elsee A149