Academic advising is one of the most essential components for success at Johnston Community College. All students are assigned an advisor or group of advisors to assist with the selection of courses, establish academic goals, answer questions about their program of study and ensure students are prepared to register for courses each semester. Our mission is to empower and provide a collaborative and supportive environment which promotes the educational, career and professional development of our students throughout their academic endeavors.
As a student, it is important to proactively set up advising appointments with your advisor. Every student is required to meet with his/her advisor each semester before registering for classes. In order to maximize these appointments, you should be prepared. Below is a checklist to help you prepare for your advising appointment at Johnston Community College.
- Know your program of study and student ID #. These items can be found on the admissions summary you received from JCC admissions.
- Check off the classes that you are taking on your program plan (advising check sheet). If you do not have a program plan, you can get one from your advisor and if you are a new student, you will receive one during your first advising session.
- Look at your program plan and note classes of interest/classes you need to take for next semester.
- Consider how many classes you would like to take as well as time frames that are most convenient for you. (Day, evening, and/or online classes)
- Familiarize yourself with the class schedule for the following semester and take into account your other obligations when thinking about class times that work for you. Also, understand that you will need to be flexible since courses do fill up and that you should choose back-up class times.
- Write down any questions you have (and bring them with you!).
First, in order to log in to any JCC Student Online Account including Blackboard and
your JCC Student Email, you must have a Self-Service log-in account. Please note: Due to security settings, all users must choose a new
password every 90 days.
Click Here for step by step instructions on how to set up your account.
- Understand and effectively communicate the curriculum and college policies and procedures.
- Encourage and support students to develop clear educational plans and goals.
- Assist students with techniques for working through academic issues
- Provide students with information about utilizing campus services and resources (tutoring, counseling, accessibility services, etc.)
- Maintain confidentiality
- Role model professional behavior for students
- Check your JCC email account on a regular basis
- Arrive on time for your advising appointments
- Come prepared to each appointment with questions and/or necessary materials
- Ask questions if you have a specific concern or if a problem arises. Do not wait until the problem has become a larger issue!
- Identify policies and deadline dates relevant to your academic development and success (payment and drop/add dates, etc.)
- Register for courses via Self-Service on your activation date according to your advising plan.
- Understand what type of class you are registering for (seated, asynchronous, synchronous).
- Print your schedule.
- Pay for your classes.
- Take a copy of your class schedule and a photo identification card to the Student Success Center or Learning Resource Center to have your JCC Student ID made.
- Complete the parking permit registration form to get a parking sticker.
- Order and/or purchase books. Student Bookstore
- Take some time to find your classrooms.
- Check your schedule via Self-Service for changes just before classes start.
- Have a great semester!
Have advising questions?